Welcome to my Puerto Duquesa blog

I've been visiting Puerto Duquesa three or four times a year for the past 20 years and have seen the area change enormously in that time. Where once there were dirt tracks and open countryside, there are now two lane motorways and apartment complexes. And whilst the area has changed and grown dramatically, it has still retained its small town, or should that be 'small marina' feel, which keeps me, and thousands others, coming back year after year.

Since I am currently in the USA it is a slightly odd time to start a blog about Puerto Duquesa, but the reason for doing so is simple - I may actually have some time to write some stuff! Most of the things I'm going to write about are things I like doing in the area or places I like going. Clearly I am not going to be able to cover everything, but hopefully I can give you a taste of what makes this such a special place and give you some ideas for your next trip.

If you can't immediately find what you are looking for, please scroll down and look in the blog archive (click the triangles to expand the list of articles). You might also want to start with these articles: Puerto Duquesa: the basics, Favourite (best?) restaurants in Puerto Duquesa, Puerto Duquesa beaches and Holiday accommodation in Puerto Duquesa. Want to get to know the area? Try A walking tour of Puerto Duquesa.

I welcome contributions, comments, criticisms and...well...praise.

If you want to link to me or you want me to link to you, that'll work too. If I think you're a good local company and you're prepared to part with a few euros, you might be lucky enough to advertise on the blog (which, fyi, is page rank 3 on Google - just type in puerto duquesa at google.com).

Thanks / Gracias

Chris (chris@cdgsmith.com) (March 2007)


Thursday, March 22, 2007

Buying property in Puerto Duquesa

I frequently get asked two questions with regard to property in and around Puerto Duquesa. These are – (i) is it a good investment and (2) is now a good time to buy. My philosophy on buying property is that you should buy somewhere because you love it and want to spend time there, not because you are looking for profit, and to focus on quality (in terms of location, build, access, etc.). Follow these two points and hopefully you'll end up with a place that you love to live/holiday in and will also make you some money in the long-term.

However, since I am far from an expert, here are some links to good articles written by people who live and work in the Puerto Duquesa/Manilva area:

(1) An overview of the market and a 2005 market update by Paul Grindrod, an independent property consultant;

(2) Buying property in Manilva by Tom Provan, author of Gone to Spain and Going to Live on The Costa del Sol; and

(3) Why Manilva, by Shanalle Bacarese-Hamilton from Hamilton Homes.

By all means contact me if you have any questions and I can put you in touch with somebody who knows the answers.

Happy House Hunting.

2 comments:

Gary Ingram said...

Hi Chris,

I am not sure that everyone knows that you can get to Duquesa fairly easily from five different Spanish Airports, all of which are served by the UK!

The nearest airport to Duquesa is Gibraltar Airport where there are daily flights from Luton and Manchester along with the new flights down from Madrid.

Malaga Airport is probably the easiest airport to fly into as it has soo many flights.

Jerez Airport now has flights from London and Manchester and is about 70 minutes drive from Duquesa.

Granada Airport is about 2 hours and 30 minutes drive from Duquesa and is served by both Ryanaiar and Monarch.

Lastly Seville Airport is around 2 hours and 15 minutes drive from Duquesa and is served by Ryanair and BA / Iberia Airlines from the UK and Ireland.

Good luck and keep up the good work

Regards

Gary Ingram - Spanish Airport Guide

Anonymous said...

Gary

I think you are incorrect about access via Gibraltar from Manchester. There are no flights from Manchester although FlyGib is meant to solve that but who knows when they will be working.
john