Welcome to my Puerto Duquesa blog

I've been visiting Puerto Duquesa three or four times a year for the past 20 years and have seen the area change enormously in that time. Where once there were dirt tracks and open countryside, there are now two lane motorways and apartment complexes. And whilst the area has changed and grown dramatically, it has still retained its small town, or should that be 'small marina' feel, which keeps me, and thousands others, coming back year after year.

Since I am currently in the USA it is a slightly odd time to start a blog about Puerto Duquesa, but the reason for doing so is simple - I may actually have some time to write some stuff! Most of the things I'm going to write about are things I like doing in the area or places I like going. Clearly I am not going to be able to cover everything, but hopefully I can give you a taste of what makes this such a special place and give you some ideas for your next trip.

If you can't immediately find what you are looking for, please scroll down and look in the blog archive (click the triangles to expand the list of articles). You might also want to start with these articles: Puerto Duquesa: the basics, Favourite (best?) restaurants in Puerto Duquesa, Puerto Duquesa beaches and Holiday accommodation in Puerto Duquesa. Want to get to know the area? Try A walking tour of Puerto Duquesa.

I welcome contributions, comments, criticisms and...well...praise.

If you want to link to me or you want me to link to you, that'll work too. If I think you're a good local company and you're prepared to part with a few euros, you might be lucky enough to advertise on the blog (which, fyi, is page rank 3 on Google - just type in puerto duquesa at google.com).

Thanks / Gracias

Chris (chris@cdgsmith.com) (March 2007)


Tuesday, April 3, 2007

English radio in Puerto Duquesa

There are a number of radio stations on the Costa del Sol which broadcast in English and are tailored for the expat community. As well as playing music more suited to our British tastes, they are an excellent source of local information and often discuss upcoming events/parties/gatherings/club nights, etc..

Reception can be a little patchy in Puerto Duquesa, so you may not be able to get all the stations below, especially if the weather is overcast or there is rain. In the event that your radio won’t pick them up, then you can always try tuning in online.

Global FM

Global FM has been on the Costa del Sol for a number of years now and is my favourite station. It plays a real mix of music depending on the time of the day – generally it’s 90s/00s chart music in the morning, older stuff during the day, and R&B, hip hop and dance later in the evening. Johnno, Debs and Jimbo recently left the station to setup The Beat Spain (see below), but Global FM still has its fair share of good DJs. Reception is good in Puerto Duquesa, but patchy around Marbella.

Frequency? 96.5 FM
Listen online? Yes

The Beat Spain

Johnno, Debs and Jimbo setup The Beat Spain a year or so ago now. I haven’t listened to it very much, but the music policy is similar to Global FM. Johnno and Debs’ popular breakfast show is now broadcast weekdays on this station and has its share of dedicated fans.

Frequency? 95.5 FM & 92.4 FM
Listen online? Yes

REM FM

REM FM is one for the older expat crowd, playing a mix of older music. Local legend Maurice Bolland is one of the main DJs.

Frequency? ???FM
Listen online? Yes

BFBS Gibraltar

BFBS Gibraltar is the radio station for the Armed Forces in Gibraltar and plays mainstream chart music. If you’re feeling home sick, they have BBC News bulletins and the ‘Top 40’ countdown just like in the UK.

Frequency? 93.5FM & 97.8FM
Listen online? Yes

Central FM

Central FM one of the most popular stations on the coast playing a mix of music and appealing to all generations, but perhaps a slight focus on the older set.

Frequency? 98.6FM & 103.8 FM
Listen online? Yes

Spectrum FM

Spectrum FM is similar to Central FM above.

Frequency? 105.5FM
Listen online? No

Wave 96 FM

Wave 96 FM spins classic anthems from the 70s, 80s and 90s. The perfect accompaniment when driving down the N-340 with the wind in your hair!

Frequency? 96.0FM
Listen online? Yes

2 comments:

Jane said...

Hello my name is Jane, few days ago i open my new blog. I would like to add your site to my blog, that I think and hope it will help inform visitors about your site. I select for it's quality your blog - structure, design and content. I would like to ask if you can provide me more, details, information about your site.
my blog is - http://myspainradio.blogspot.com/ and you can leave your information in the comments of this page
http://myspainradio.blogspot.com/2008/04/radio-music-networks-blogs.html

Jane said...

Hi, I update my blog, and I am discussing one question, could you join, your opinion is very important for me. So I hope that I will meet you in my blog
http://myspainradio.blogspot.com/2008/05/tv-or-radio-your-choice-and-reasons.html
Thanks!
http://myspainradio.blogspot.com/