Welcome to my Puerto Duquesa blog

I've been visiting Puerto Duquesa three or four times a year for the past 20 years and have seen the area change enormously in that time. Where once there were dirt tracks and open countryside, there are now two lane motorways and apartment complexes. And whilst the area has changed and grown dramatically, it has still retained its small town, or should that be 'small marina' feel, which keeps me, and thousands others, coming back year after year.

Since I am currently in the USA it is a slightly odd time to start a blog about Puerto Duquesa, but the reason for doing so is simple - I may actually have some time to write some stuff! Most of the things I'm going to write about are things I like doing in the area or places I like going. Clearly I am not going to be able to cover everything, but hopefully I can give you a taste of what makes this such a special place and give you some ideas for your next trip.

If you can't immediately find what you are looking for, please scroll down and look in the blog archive (click the triangles to expand the list of articles). You might also want to start with these articles: Puerto Duquesa: the basics, Favourite (best?) restaurants in Puerto Duquesa, Puerto Duquesa beaches and Holiday accommodation in Puerto Duquesa. Want to get to know the area? Try A walking tour of Puerto Duquesa.

I welcome contributions, comments, criticisms and...well...praise.

If you want to link to me or you want me to link to you, that'll work too. If I think you're a good local company and you're prepared to part with a few euros, you might be lucky enough to advertise on the blog (which, fyi, is page rank 3 on Google - just type in puerto duquesa at google.com).

Thanks / Gracias

Chris (chris@cdgsmith.com) (March 2007)


Friday, May 4, 2007

Puerto Duquesa take-away food

If you don't feel like heading out to eat (like I don't this evening!) then there are plenty of take-away options in Puerto Duquesa. I'm a huge pizza fan so I will start with my favourite:

Paparazzi Pizza

Owed by the same chap behind Il Capitano (see Restaurants in Puerto Duquesa), this small take-away pizza outlet is fantastic. You can chose from a range of pizzas by the slice or get one made to your specifications. Although the slices are good, I think getting a whole pizza freshly made is definitely preferable, and I'm fairly confident they could feed at least 3 or 4 people. A delivery service is offered although I always tend to go down to the marina to collect it myself to ensure that it doesn't get cold on the way home (I can drive faster when I'm hungry than a delivery driver!).

Chinese

There are three Chinese restaurants in Puerto Duquesa and they vary in quality. I forget the names of them and which ones are good so I will save making any comments about them. However, they are all pretty good value and all offer a take-away service.

Indian

There are two Indian restaurants in Puerto Duquesa. Passage to India (downstairs on the front line) and the other one upstairs, which used to be quite smart, but was shut down last time I was there. Again, I can't make any comments as to quality, but I know that the best Indian is a matter of extensive discussions over at the Manilvalife forums.

Icecream!

Garibalidis is quite frankly the best ice cream parlour in the world. Better than Ben and Jerrys and Hagaan Dazs put together, there are at least 30 flavours of ice creams and sorbets to satisfy any sugar craving. From small cones right the way up to large tubs to take home for the whole family, the whole range is very reasonably priced. Milkshakes or batidos are also highly recommended...

A new take-away unit next to Paparazzi Pizza was opening up last time I was in Puerto Duquesa and the chap I talked to said that it was going to be a kebab joint. If anybody wants to let me know if it's any good, I'll add some comments to the site.

No comments: